Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Editing Etiquette

What does an editor do?

I haven't really gotten this question, but I anticipate some people will ask me eventually. Since I'm new to the biz, and I really march to the beat of my own drum, I have no idea what the proper "procedure" for editing is or if there even is one! I thought I would share my process so you can have an idea of what a typical book editing has looked like for me.

First, I read the entire story all the way through. As you know from my post yesterday, I get lost in my stories. So editing the first time around is simply impossible. I've tried it and I miss all the errors because I'm so focused on what's happening. So I fly through, top to bottom to satisfy the hungry reader in me. This also gives me a baseline for how the story unfolds, making it easier to edit for story holes and flow of the storyline.

Next, I start an "edit read through". I correct spelling errors, awkward wording, and sentence flow issues. I cut down run-on sentences and make side notes if, as a reader, something would seem completely out of place or hard to follow. I often use websites for help with comma use or dictionary.com if I'm unsure of spelling. I have a pretty extensive understanding of the English language and all the dumb rules and regulations, but occasionally I have to look things up to make sure I'm doing it right. The geek in me ADORES this part of the process. The research, the rules, the spelling. Exciting...for me!

When I finish the edit read through, I read through it again-with the edits-to make sure it flows and ebbs, leading to the beautiful waterfall that is the last page of the book. I fix anything that bothers me, and when I'm satisfied, I send it back to the author.

I keep in contact with the author, discussing anything they have questions about, helping them reword things if they want, and watching their excitement grow as it gets closer to publishing time. Before the book gets released, the author may elect to have a proof copy (the first printed hard copy) of their book sent to them. I will also edit that as well, which generally runs quickly as this will be my 4th or 5th time through the story. I make sure that spelling, punctuation and formatting are all as perfect as possible.

And then a novel is born. It's hard work, it can be tiresome and frustrating sometimes. It's important to know when to walk away and take a break. Sometimes if you can clear your head and come back to it, you see things in a different way. This works for writing as well. If you find you have a block, go for a walk or put it down for a day or two. Sometimes it may even take weeks, but always pick it back up and lay those ideas out onto paper. I may be an editor now, but always and above all I'm an avid reader. New authors are the reason why there are so many excellent books out there. Don't give up, let your voice be heard. Can you imagine if Dan Brown decided to play hockey instead? Or if Stephen King thought that painting was more up his alley?

I'm going to leave you with my all-time favorite skit about the English language. I hope you enjoy!



As always, thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment